Preparation and persistence, candid, accessible counsel and creative solutions – these are hallmarks of how Cheryl Vollweiler practices law. A Partner in the firm’s New York office and an accomplished insurance coverage and defense attorney, Cheryl provides case evaluations and implements strategies focused on achieving optimal resolutions aligned with the business objectives of her industry clients.
Cheryl’s practice concentrates on all aspects of insurance coverage and defense. This includes high-profile and complex insurance coverage disputes, active coverage litigation, international arbitration, supervision of local counsel, and resolving cases at mediation on behalf of insurers.
She brings deep and diverse experience to her handling of matters involving international arbitration, products liability, general liability, cyber risk, technology and data security, bad faith litigation, premises and hotel liability, property damage and first-party coverage and toxic torts (including pharmaceutical and herbal/homeopathic products, chemical exposure, latent injuries, environmental, lead and mold).
She also has significant experience drafting insurance policies and conducting due diligence and reserve audits of both insurers and insureds, along with corresponding reporting and analysis.
Clients reap the benefits of Cheryl’s extensive background with a wide range of insurance policies and programs, including comprehensive general liability policies, products liability policies, commercial casualty/package policies, Bermuda form policies, life sciences policies, property and inland marine policies, cyber policies, specialty insurance policies and risk retention group policies.
A frequent lecturer on insurance coverage-related issues, punitive damages, e-discovery, toxic torts, pharmaceutical products liability, cyber risk, technology and data security and other topics, Cheryl joined the firm after many years as a partner at an AmLaw 100 firm. Cheryl graduated from Brandeis University before earning her law degree from Hofstra University School of Law.
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D.
- Brandeis University, B.A. in Politics
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of NY
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of NY
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- New York State Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Toxic Tort Committee – Environment and Energy Law Section
- American Bar Association
- President of the Association of Professional Insurance Women (APIW)
- Financial Women’s Association (Former Director and Co-Chair, Directorships & Governance Committee)
- The International Alliance of Women
- Wingspan Arts, Inc. (Board Member)
- Cheryl sits on several prominent industry association Boards including: the Association of Professional Insurance Women; the Financial Women’s Association of New York , where she also co-chairs the Directorships & Corporate Governance Committee; and the New York State Bar Association, where she co-chairs the Toxic Tort Committee of the Environmental Law Section.
- Cheryl sits on the Board of Directors of Wingspan Arts, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation that brings arts education to diverse student groups in the New York Metropolitan Area in the performing, visual, media and literary arts.