Jason Taylor is an experienced coverage attorney who develops meaningful and enduring relationships with his insurance industry clients by providing them with clear and candid communication, personal and attentive service, and holistic representation tailored to their specific needs and broader goals.
A partner in the firm’s Chicago office, Jason focuses his practice on insurance coverage and defense matters, representing both liability and excess carriers. He evaluates and analyzes coverage issues under primary, umbrella, and excess liability policies to advise clients on subjects such as carriers’ duty to defend, contribution and indemnification, priority of coverage, allocation of defense costs or liability, and other insurance matters.
Jason represents the interests of insurers in matters involving a wide range of issues and policies, including complex coverage issues involving general and professional liability claims, errors & omissions coverage, environmental/contractor’s pollution liability, products liability, catastrophic injury/damage, cyber/BIPA claims, additional insured, construction defect, and advertising and personal injury coverage matters. Jason’s coverage experience also includes bad faith and extra-contractual liability issues, policy interpretation, and property and casualty coverage, as well as representation of insurance companies in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Jason is also highly experienced in best practices training and breach response as part of the firm’s Data Security and Cyber Risk practice. His professional accomplishments have earned him recognition as a SuperLawyers Rising Star (Insurance Coverage) in 2016, 2017, and 2019-2021, a designation given to only 2.5% of attorneys in Illinois each year.
Prior to joining the firm, Jason was a law clerk in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Chancery Division. He graduated with honors from Michigan State University before earning his law degree, summa cum laude, from Loyola University Chicago School of Law.
When not serving his clients or community, Jason enjoys spending time with his wife and two children in and along the shores of Lake Michigan searching for sea glass and fossils, hiking, and camping.
- Loyola University School of Law Chicago, J.D., summa cum laude
- Michigan State University, B.A., History, with honors
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for Colorado
- Claims Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society (PLUS)
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA)
- Michigan Bar Association
Covington Specialty Ins. Co. v. Sweet Soul, Inc., 2023 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 76332 (E.D. Mich. May 2, 2023)
Motor City Heating & Cooling, Inc. v. Secura Supreme Ins. Co., 2023 Mich. App. LEXIS 4454 (Mich. Ct. App. June 22, 2023)
Nautilus Ins. Co. v. World Wrecking & Scrap Salvage Servs., 2022 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 24887 (E.D. Mo. Feb. 11, 2022)
Cont'l W. Ins. Co. v. City of Sullivan, 2021 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 163674 (E.D. Mo. Aug. 30, 2021)
Everest Indem. Ins. Co. v. Jake's Fireworks, 501 F. Supp. 3d 1158 (D. Kan. 2020)
Marine v. Covington Specialty Ins. Co., 2020 NY Slip Op 31887(U) (Sup. Ct.) (May 29, 2020)
Maxum Indem. Co. v. Broken Spoke Bar & Grill, 420 F. Supp. 3d 617 (W.D. Ky. 2019)
Bandas v. Landmark Am. Ins. Co., 2:17-CV-95 (S.D. Tex. Jan 16, 2018)
Maxum Indem. Co. v. Miller Contracting Servs., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 75592 (S.D. Ill. June 3, 2014)
- Speaker for various insurance clients’ Claims Departments including “From Tender to Settlement: Bad Faith Update in Key Jurisdictions,” “The Consent Judgment Conundrum,” and “Review of First and Third Party Cyber Coverages”, 2021-2022
- "Finding Coverage for Opioids: Courts still divided as to “damages because of bodily injury” requirement." Claims Litigation Management Magazine (CLM), December 19, 2022.
- “When Uncle Sam Comes Calling: Determining if a government investigation constitutes a claim,” Claims Litigation Management Magazine (CLM), March 2020
- “Engineering A Fraud: Coverage Issues Implicated by Sophisticated Email Scams,” Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) Journal, October, 2017
- “Stuck In The Middle With You: Maintaining Professional and Ethical Balance in the Tripartite Relationship,” CBA Record, April/May 2016;
- “Record Highs: How Marijuana’s Rapid Growth Is Affecting Insurance Coverage,” Claims Management Magazine, January 2016;
- Speaker at Chicago Bar Association’s Insurance Coverage Section Meeting, “Marijuana, Insurance, and You” discussing insurance coverage and ethical issues with medical and recreational marijuana, February 2016
- Speaker at Professional Liability Underwriting Association (“PLUS”) Midwest “Growing Insurance Issues With the Rise of Medical and Recreational Marijuana,” Claims and Coverage Perspective, September 2015
- Speaker on PLUS panel Webinar, “Claims and Coverage Perspective of Medical and Recreational Marijuana,” October 2015