One of the founding members of Traub Lieberman, Meryl R. Lieberman has spent her career delivering exceptional legal services that have practical and positive impact for her insurance industry clients.
Committed to providing value in every task and thriving on the intellectual challenges of complex and novel coverage issues, Meryl devotes her practice to resolving complex insurance coverage disputes. She counsels and defends insurers on matters involving risk transfer, toxic torts, environmental liability, products liability, construction defects, general liability, professional liability, advertising injury, and workplace accidents. She has litigated through appeal many significant environmental and toxic tort declaratory judgment and rescission actions in jurisdictions across the country.
Meryl was a member of a special advisory panel to the United States Environmental Protection Agency and participated in a focus group of ASTM drafting guidelines for the insurability of housing containing lead-based paint. She is a frequent writer and international lecturer on insurance coverage and related issues, addressing tort reform, extra contractual liability, risk transfer, class action and multi-district litigation, claims handling and exposure analysis, Superfund, lender liability, and emerging coverage disputes. She recently authored a chapter in the Insurance Law Journal, Special Issue, entitled Pre-Contractual Disclosure: Laidlaw v. Organ.
After graduating, magna cum laude, from City College of New York, Meryl earned her law degree, magna cum laude, from New York Law School, where she was an Editor of the Law Review and the recipient of the Murray Stockman Memorial Award for the highest average in Evidence.
When not serving her clients, Meryl enjoys spending time at the beach with her family.
- New York Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- City College of New York, B.A., magna cum laude, in Urban Legal Studies
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Visiting Adjunct Professor New York Law School Summer 2020 (pro bono)
- Member of DRI‘s Insurance Law Committee (“ILC”)
- Served on Special Advisory Council to the EPA
- Traub Lieberman Management Committee member
- New York Law School – Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees
- New York Law School – ABA/AALS Site Visit Board of Trustees Liaison
- New York Law School – Academic Affairs Committee
- New York Law School – Budget and Finance Committee
- New York Law School – Institutional Advancement and Engagement Task Force
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- American Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Westchester Women’s Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Defense Research Institute
- USLAW Network
- Association of Professional Insurance Women
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association
- Justice Brandeis Westchester Law Society
- Speaker at the Australian National Conference in Melbourne, Australia-October 2015
- Speaker at FDCC’s 12th Annual Corporate Counsel Symposium-September 2015
- Speaker at the Insurance Coverage & Practice Symposium-Sponsored by DRI-October 29th, 2014
- Speaker at the AIDA World Congress in Rome-October 2014
- “Pre-Contractual Disclosure: Laidlaw v Organ: Have We Laid-New-Law,” LexisNexis Australia Insurance Law Journal’s Carter V Boehm 250th Anniversary Special Issue
- “Shelter from the Storm: EPA’s Lender Liability Rule,” NY State Bar Journal
- “Superfund Reform,” Insurance Law & Practice