Copernicus Gaza prides himself on producing exceptional work product and providing his clients with timely and thoughtful communication, including legal opinions and practical advice regarding all aspect of coverage.
Clients can be assured that before a pleading, brief, report, coverage opinion, email, or any other document or communication leaves Cope's hands, it is the absolute best it can be. A seasoned counselor and litigator on a wide range of insurance coverage issues, Cope’s practice is defined by well-honed advocacy skills, timely and thoughtful client communication, and the highest level of professionalism.
A partner in the firm’s New York office, Cope represents insurance industry clients in the areas of professional liability, including directors and officers liability (public, private and non-profit), employment practices liability, general liability and products liability coverage. His practice includes providing legal opinions and practical advice concerning the duties to defend and indemnify, claims handling advice and recommendations, coverage litigation, excess monitoring and insurance policy drafting. He has litigated several declaratory judgment actions though appeal in jurisdictions around the country.
A graduate of Rutgers University, Cope earned his law degree from New York Law School where he served as Chief Articles Editor of the New York Law School Journal of Human Rights. He is the author of “Getting Inside the Jury’s Head: Media Access to Jurors After the Trial,” 12 N.Y.L. SCH. J. HUM. RTS. 311 (1995).
When not working, Cope enjoys listening to ska music and yelling at the New York Giants on autumn Sundays, both from the stands and from his couch.
- New York Law School, J.D.
- Served as Chief Articles Editor of the New York Law School Journal of Human Rights
- Rutgers University, B.A.
- New York
- New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
- Getting Inside the Jury’s Head: Media Access to Jurors After the Trial (12 N.Y.L. SCH. J. HUM. RTS. 311, 1995)