A partner in the firm’s New York office committed to meticulous preparation and providing clear and understandable client communication, Jonathan Harwood also handles policy drafting and policy interpretation, as well as coverage and bad faith litigation.
Jonathan understands that a positive outcome for his clients doesn’t just involve a prevailing legal argument; it also needs to align with the client’s cost, reputational, and business concerns and objectives. A partner in the firm’s New York office, Jonathan complements his extensive litigation experience with meticulous preparation and early, in-depth analysis of every matter he handles.
Practicing in the firm’s professional liability, employment practices liability, products liability, and premises liability areas, Jonathan has represented lawyers, accountants, insurance agents, manufacturers, corporations and religious institutions in all phases of litigation. In addition to serving as counsel of record in such professional liability matters, Jonathan has supervised defense counsel on a national basis in litigation and arbitration on behalf of directors and officers liability insurers, life insurance carriers and life insurance agents, and their errors and omissions carriers.
In insurance coverage matters, Jonathan’s practice includes policy drafting and policy interpretation, as well as coverage and bad faith litigation. He has also represented insurers in declaratory judgment actions involving coverage for environmental, professional liability and product liability claims.
Jonathan is an active member and currently the Membership Chair of the Professional Liability Committee of DRI, the leading organization of defense attorneys and in-house counsel. He has held several leadership roles on that committee and has also spoken at three DRI Professional Liability Seminars on the assignability of legal malpractice claims, mediating a professional liability claim, and exposures facing insurance agents and brokers.
A graduate of the University of Michigan who earned his law degree from St. John’s University School of Law, Jonathan has consistently been recognized for his professional accomplishments, appearing on the list of Super Lawyers for Metro New York in Professional Liability from 2014 to 2019. When not serving his clients, Jonathan enjoys spending his time relaxing with his family, staying physically active (skiing, playing golf and playing lacrosse, among other things) and traveling.
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeal for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeal for the Federal District
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) -Chair-Professional Liability 2016 Conference
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) -Steering Committee-Professional Liability Group
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)-Vice Chair of Publications 2014-15
- Co-Chair-TLSS Diversity Committee
- American Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society
- Justice Brandeis Westchester Law Society
- Rivas v. AmeriMed USA, Inc., 34 A.D.3d 250, 824 N.Y.S.2d 41 (1st Dep’t 2006)
- MONY Life Insurance Company v. Cordero, 22 A.D.3d 815, 802 N.Y.S.2d 632 (2d Dep’t 2005)
- Whalen v. Allers, 302 F.Supp.2d 194 (S.D.N.Y. 2003)
- Bruker v. City of New York, 92 F.Supp.2d 257(S.D.N.Y.2000)
- Pacific Indemnity Co. v. Bellefonte Insurance Co., 80 Cal. App. 4th 1226(2000)
- Forde v. V.E. Systems, 917 F.Supp. 258
- “Prior Acts Limitations: Does Corregis Insurance Company v. Baratta & Fenerty, Ltd. Create A Lower Threshold For Attorney’s Malpractice Policies,” PLUS Journal (Professional Liability Underwriting Society, June, 2002)
- “U.S. v. Yonkers: Can More Be Done to Remedy Housing Discrimination,” St. John’s Journal of Legal Commentary, Vol. 4, Issue 1 (St. John’s University School of Law, YEAR)